Ivan Misner, Guest Author –
Here is a sneak peek at the kind of information Ivan offers in his book, “Networking Like A Pro:”
1. “What Do You Like Best about What You Do?” This leads to more interesting conversation about the other person’s business, his likes and dislikes, his experience and so forth. This is a much better alternative than simply asking, “What do you do?” which doesn’t leave much room to maneuver after each networker has answered the question.
2. “You Mentioned that You Were in [Industry]. What Got You Started in that Direction?” This gives the other person a chance to talk about personal goals and desires and to look favorably on the asker. It also gives insight into how dedicated she is to her profession and how proficient she may be at it.
3. “Where Else Do You Usually Network?” This helps break the ice during that awkward period just after introductions and offers the chance to talk about something common to both parties, creating an opportunity to make an instant connection.
4. “What Are Some of Your Biggest Challenges?” This can be used toward the end of the conversation. It allows the opportunity to learn about the other party’s reasons, passion and motivation for being in her specific business in the first place.
5) “How Can I Help You?” If you decide the person you’re talking with is someone you’d like to have in your network, this is a good question to ask. Being helpful is the best way to start building a solid relationship.
NOTE: To order a copy of Ivan’s newest book, “Network Like a Pro” click here!
Read, “How Can I Help You?”
Copyright © 2010 – Ivan Misner. Reprinted with permission. Called the father of modern networking, Dr. Ivan Misner is the Founder of BNI and the senior partner for the Referral Institute. He has written nine books, including his New York Times best seller, Truth or Delusion? Busting Networking’s Biggest Myths.
NOTE: All articles and networking tips listed in this BLOG – written by Larry James – are available for reprint in magazines, periodicals, newsletters, newspapers, eZINEs, on the Internet or on your own Website. Click here for details.
Add Larry James to your Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/larry.james
Follow Larry’s “once daily” Relationship Tweet at: http://www.Twitter.com/larryjames
Follow Larry’s “Relationship BLOG” at: http://CelebrateLove.wordpress.com/
Follow Larry’s “Wedding BLOG” at: http://CelebrateIntimateWeddings.wordpress.com
NOTE: All articles and networking tips listed in this BLOG written by Larry James are available for reprint in magazines, periodicals, newsletters, newspapers, eZINEs, on the Internet or on your own Website. Click here for details.