• Don’t arrive too late.
• Don’t leave too early.
• Don’t drink to much.
• Don’t gorge at the buffet table. Stop and get a sandwich before the meeting so you can spend all your time focusing on networking.
Remember, you never have a second chance to make a good first impression!
• Don’t be a wallflower. Don’t let shyness hold you back. Introverts can come out of their shell. If you need some networking skills, find a coach.
• Don’t stay huddled in groups with people you already know. Networking requires that you keep a reasonably clear head. Consume conservatively! Make sure to eat something before you show up to help lessen the chances of getting tipsy. If you cannot trust yourself to do this, do not drink at all. Expand your horizons. Move past your fears. Networking won’t get you the results you’re looking for if you’re afraid to ask for help.
• Don’t spend so much time talking about yourself.
• Don’t oversell yourself. Focus on others. Networking is more about listening than it is about talking. Never be aggressive. Don’t push your product or service. Networking and direct selling are two very different things.
• Don’t speak negatively about others, even if what you are saying is true. You never know how that can come back to haunt you.
• Don’t be a gossip! If someone is being overly chatty on a subject you feel is inappropriate, be courteous and excuse yourself or change the subject.
• Don’t use suggestive language or tell off-color jokes.
• Don’t show up just to be seen. And never show up with a “what’s in it for me” attitude! That’s a BIG networking no-no!
• Don’t slouch! Look people in the eye when talking to them. Keep your head up and walk with a sense of purpose.
Copyright © 2010 – Larry James. Larry James is a Professional Speaker, Author and Coach. He presents networking seminars nationally and “Networking” coaching by telephone or one-on-one. His latest book is, Ten Commitments of Networking: Creative Ways to Maximize Your Personal Connections! Visit ” Networking HQ!”
Add Larry James to your Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/larry.james
Follow Larry’s “once daily” Relationship Tweet at: http://www.Twitter.com/larryjames
Follow Larry’s “Relationship BLOG” at: http://CelebrateLove.wordpress.com/
Follow Larry’s “Wedding BLOG” at: http://CelebrateIntimateWeddings.wordpress.com
NOTE: All articles and networking tips listed in this BLOG – written by Larry James – are available for reprint in magazines, periodicals, newsletters, newspapers, eZINEs, on the Internet or on your own Website. Click here for details.