If your personal referral network isn’t working the way you expect, it’s time to turn things around. Are you helping them in the same way you want them to help you? The best way to get your network motivated is to be motivated yourself.
Before you blame your network for the lack of referrals, ask yourself:
• Have you followed up with the referrals? ~ Networking: Here’s a Novel Idea!
• Have you educated your network about your business? Your job is not to close a sale, but to train a sales force. ~ Evaluate Your Business Networking Group
• Have you made it clear who you’re looking for as clients? If you’re looking for vice-presidents of major corporations, say so. ~ “Qualified” Referrals – The Currency of Successful Connections! and It’s Really Okay to “Toot” Your Own Horn…
• Have you built up the trust that encourages people to refer their own best clients to you? ~ Plant Some Networking Seeds!
• Are you holding your network accountable? ~ Don’t Join an Easy Crowd
In the beginning of the article, Ivan asked, “Are you helping them in the same way you want them to help you?” I’ve been helping to train networkers for more than 26 years. I find that the people who complain the most that networking isn’t working for them are really the guilty ones. They are not giving referrals or leads. Time to read, “Happiness in Networking is YOUR Problem…”
As of July 14, 2013 there are more than 360 FREE articles about business networking. Check our Networking Article Index. No excuses! Get busy reading several articles each day and stop complaining that networking doesn’t work. It works AND you have to work it.
Copyright © 2013 – Ivan Misner. Called the father of modern networking, Dr. Ivan Misner is the Founder of BNI and the senior partner for the Referral Institute. He has written nine books, including his New York Times best seller, Truth or Delusion? Busting Networking’s Biggest Myths.
Larry James is a Professional Speaker, Author and Networking Coach. He presents networking seminars nationally and “Networking” coaching by telephone or one-on-one. Something NEW about Networking is posted on this Networking BLOG every 4th day! Visit Larry’s Networking Website at: “Networking HQ!”
Subscribe to “Networking HQ BLOG with Larry James” and receive a fresh networking article or tip every 4th day by e-mail. Click on the “Email Subscription” link on the right under the “search” box. You can unsubscribe anytime!
NOTE: All articles and networking tips listed in this BLOG – written by Larry James – are available for reprint in magazines, periodicals, newsletters, newspapers, eZINEs, on the Internet or on your own Website. Click here for details.
Add Larry James as a “friend” to your Facebook page: http://www.Facebook.com/larry.james
Follow Larry’s “once daily” Relationship Tweet at: http://www.Twitter.com/larryjames
Follow Larry’s “Relationship BLOG” at: http://CelebrateLove.wordpress.com/
Follow Larry’s “Wedding BLOG” at: http://CelebrateIntimateWeddings.wordpress.com
Follow Larry’s “Authors & Speakers” BLOG at: http://www.AuthorsandSpeakerNetwork.wordpress.com/