Networking HQ BLOG with Larry James

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Networking: Passive Business Strategy or Proactive Marketing Tool?

Ivan Misner, Guest Author

The word “networking” has become so overused that some business professionals can no longer define it. Many people think that networking is attending social or business after-hour events, shaking a few hands, collecting a few cards, and, of course, giving away a few cards of their own. Sadly, they actually believe that’s all there is to networking. To be fair, we could say they’re engaging in social networking. That’s never to be confused, however, with business networking.

NetDefinedBusiness people tend to fall into one of two groups when it comes to their views of networking. For many, the current mind-set is that networking is a passive business strategy, not a proactive marketing tool. This attitude results in a scattered, often ineffective networking approach that consequently wastes the business owner’s time and money.

Not surprisingly, when people feel they’ve been wasting their time and money on something, they’re understandably not going to continue that activity.

On the other hand, some proprietors do consider networking a proactive marketing tool for their business. How can you tell? They make it a significant part of their marketing and business plans. They have networking goals. They may even have a budget line item for networking. Most importantly, they practice it and live it every day.

A distinguishing characteristic of self-made millionaires is that they network everywhere. Most important, they do it all the time – at business conferences, at the health club, on the golf course or with the person sitting next to them on a plane. This fact alone should motivate you to place yourself in situations where you can meet new people.

As you feel more comfortable with this process, you’ll find it easier to sit between strangers at business meetings or strike up a conversation with people at the spa.

Which view do you take?

BONUS Articles: What is Business Networking?
Are You a Superstar Networker?

MisnerCopyright © 2015 – Ivan Misner. Called the father of modern networking, Dr. Ivan Misner is the Founder of BNI and the senior partner for the Referral Institute. He has written nine books, including his New York Times best seller, Truth or Delusion? Busting Networking’s Biggest Myths.


netHQLarry James presents networking seminars nationally and offers Networking coaching; one-on-one or for your Networking Group! Invite Larry James to speak to your group! His latest book is, Ten Commitments of Networking: Creative Ways to Maximize Your Personal Connections! Something NEW about Networking is posted on this Networking BLOG every 4th day! Visit Larry’s Networking Website at: “Networking HQ!”


Subscribe to Larry’s FREE monthly “LoveNotes for Lovers” eZINE. Contact: Larry James, P.O. Box 12695, Scottsdale, AZ 85267-2695. –

NOTE: All articles and networking tips listed in this BLOG – written by Larry James – are available for reprint in magazines, periodicals, newsletters, newspapers, eZINEs, on the Internet or on your own Website. Click here for details.


Add Larry James as a “friend” to your Facebook page:
Follow Larry’s “once daily” Relationship Tweet at:
Follow Larry’s “Relationship BLOG” at:
Follow Larry’s “Wedding BLOG” at:
Follow Larry’s “Authors & Speakers” BLOG at:
Visit Larry James on LinkedIn
Follow Larry’s Networking Pintrest Page @!



  1. Reblogged this on rhondarhudgins and commented:
    This is an excellent article and a must read for anyone “on the fence” about networking.

    Let me know what you think, in the comments.

    Comment by rrhudgins — Thursday, March 26, 2015 @ 7:57 am | Reply

  2. This was great. Short, precise and to the point. In fact, it is something I will use in writing my business plan for my college class and an article I will share with my instructor. I had to share it with our Regional Business group, it is comprised of 75% direct sells people and the other 25% either brick & mortar or home based service businesses, and sadly it seems up to 50% of the group does not see or understand the value of marketing their businesses, and certainly see no value in building a network, by building relationships.

    Comment by rrhudgins — Thursday, March 26, 2015 @ 7:54 am | Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at